Monday, May 3, 2010

My Husband's Journey

Just a few years ago, I had never heard of church planting.  Now my husband and I are on a journey toward planting a church.  And I need a place to process this crazy, scary, God-sized journey. 

So how did we get here?  My husband began to feel a disillusionment with the church status quo about a year ago.  God began to birth a desire in him to reach all kinds of people with the gospel, not just white, middle-class people who look like us.  And he began to see that often our church and many others put up barriers that make it much harder for anyone who's very different to know Jesus.  (Not intentional barriers, but barriers nonetheless.) God brought people into his ministry that were "messy, " needy and in need of Jesus.  And they responded to Him. Not because of our standard church programs, but despite them.


God also used the book No Perfect People Allowed to help shape his views on how to minister to a new generation of people.  I'm now reading it as well, and it's a real eye-opener.  At first we thought we might be able to create a culture that welcomes all people, even those who live very different lifestyles than we do, at our current church.  But as time went on, he realized that this won't happen soon, if ever.  So he began to read about church planting.  About starting a whole new church from scratch.  The more he thought and prayed and attended conferences and researched, the more he became convinced that this is what God is calling him to do.  And he is very excited about it!


As for me...I'll tackle my journey later!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment